Sunday 22 August 2010

Leaving a legacy.


I have recently watched again Matt's Thanksgiving service on dvd.
It took place on 22nd September 2006, 5 days after my dad's 88th birthday and 7 days before Alan's 22nd birthday.

It was a very moving experience, and as it was only the second time I had watched it in 4 years hardly surprising.

I also found it comforting to see how full the church was and the many people young and old, who had made a special journey to be there.
There were around 450+

The many conversations afterwards, and in later months and years, stories filtered down about people who had reassessed their lives and made changes.
A life cut off at 30 made them think of what they considered to be vital to their own................
But the thing which grabbed me most of all was what Matt had considered important in his life.
His faith, and his care of others, came to the fore, not to mention the sense of humour which would have him rolling round the floor laughing at times!!
All this made me smile.
And remember.

So if you read this I hope it makes you think...........

Matt left a legacy...................long may it bear fruit.


Legacy by Nicole Nordemann

I don't mind if you've got something nice to say about me

And I enjoy an accolade like the rest
You could take my picture and hang it in a gallery
Of all who's who and so-n-so's that used to be the best
At such'n'such ... it wouldn't matter much

I won't lie, it feels alright to see your name in lights
We all need an 'Atta boy' or 'Atta girl'
But in the end I'd like to hang my hat on more besides
The temporary trappings of this world

I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who
blessed your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy

I don't have to look too far or too long awhile
To make a lengthly list of all that I enjoy
It's an accumulating trinket and a treasure pile
Where moth and rust, thieves and such will soon enough destroy

Not well traveled, not well read, not well-to-do or well bred
Just want to hear instead, "Well Done" good and faithful one...

2 comments:

lisibo said...

that he did Viv xx

Helen Newport said...

So many people have followed his example. xxxxx